Thursday, August 21, 2008

Confirmation!

Originally published in Dan's Life on August 5, 2008

I just spoke with my doctor and the MRI I had last week confirmed that I have a Chiari I Malformation:

Wikipedia
Helpful FAQ

Basically, my cerebellum extends beyond my skull very slightly, pressing against my spinal cord, disrupting the flow of spinal fluid and causing pressure in the area. It easily and completely explains my wide range of symptoms (that haven't gone away for 8 months and counting).

I should expect to hear from a neurosurgeon soon to discuss my options, but there is a very good chance that I'll be having surgery to correct the problem.

I'm feeling overwhelming relief that there is a definite explanation for my symptoms, that it's not life-threatening, and that there is a good possibility of correcting the problem and going back to 100% normal life. I've already decided that if I have major surgery this fall, my goal will be to run my first marathon within a year after the start of my recovery. Exciting times.

Comments from the original post:

Danielle A. said...

I'm psyched that you finally have an answer! Keep us posted on any pending surgeries and anything we can do to help if needed. :)

lace1070 said...

What a great goal to have ~ check out this chiarian's blog who seems to have the same goal ~ and she's well on her way to running her marathon post decompression ~
http://kimhocutt.blogspot.com/

No comments: